Community garage sale
Hundreds went out looking for some new treasures at the second annual River Park South community garage sale! The sale took place on Saturday, June 2 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. but participants could extend their hours to suit their needs.
Note: The River Park South Community Association is not responsible for any of the sales nor claims made by the organizers.
Garage sale tips
Having a yard sale and don’t know where to start? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here are five quick tips to help you plan your sale.
- Gather your items. Embark on some spring cleaning and decluttering – you’ll be surprised by how quickly items can accumulate!
- Promote, promote, promote! The RPSCA will promote the community sale online, on social media and via posters in the neighbourhood, but it’s up to you to advertise your individual sale. Put up signs, add your sale to Kijiji and tell your friends! Signs should be sturdy, bright and easy to read, with easy-to-follow directions to your house. Make sure to remove the signs after your sale is over.
- Organize in the days before your sale to ensure you have everything you need. Think tables, chairs, plastic bags, a cashbox of some kind and – very important! – change. Price and label your items beforehand so you are not put on the spot to determine pricing.
- Make it easy for your buyers. Display your items by category so it’s easy for people to peruse your goods. Books in one corner, clothing racks in another, home goods on one table, etc. Leave space for people to move around.
- Have a plan for leftover items. Many charitable organizations will remove furniture and other donations upon request.
By following these simple tips, you’re on your way to a successful garage sale! We’ll see you next year!
Spring clean-up 2018
Thank you to everyone who helped make the first official River Park South clean-up a success! We had over 80 people send FIVE LOADS of trash to the landfill on May 5!
We’d like to thank all of the River Park South residents and families who came out to help us clean up; Take Pride Winnipeg! for being such an awesome partner (and Tim Hortons for the yummy treats); and everyone who donated prizes, as below. Finally, thank you to all of our volunteers for organizing the event! We already can’t wait for next year!
Thank you to everyone who donated prizes:
2017 Holiday Decorating Contest
Thank you to everyone who entered the first annual River Park South holiday decorating contest and voted for the winners on Facebook!
Ron and Bethany Swain won best-decorated house for their John Forsyth Road home. The Swains received a $400 gift card generously donated by Lacoste Garden Centre.